Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Winter Loves a Writer

I know not everyone enjoys winter like I do, yet it does suck to be out in freezing weather, even for me. What I like most about braving the cold is the immense satisfaction of coming home, brewing a hot drink and diving under my sinfully soft blankets to hunker down on my computer. Drawing, writing-- wherever the day takes me, I am so much more appreciative and motivated to do creative work once the cold blast of winter is blissfully outside when I'm in.

For my fellow night owl/bears, winter is also a time for lots of dark and even more sleep. Even my more insomniatic days are less troublesome than any other time of year. It feels like a time of recuperation, healing, planning, introspection and really cracking down on work.

If you have furry ones in your house, their heat-seeking cuddling ways are even better too. I don't mind closing my laptop to appease a loving kitten for a few minutes. They're only a few months old and get into everything, but that also means that, unless they're sleeping, they don't demand me very long before they're off chasing the nearest moving target. 

Of course, there's chapped lips and dry scorched lungs and coughing and sniffling and numb asses and stinging thighs--the list goes on, but I always feel like those things melt away. Even when I'm drained or in pain, too tired and sore to do anything but collapse into bed, there's no regret because recuperative sleep is also important. I know that I'll probably be up for a long session once I wake.

On that note, I signed up for an instant job temp service, one that lets me work whenever I want, wherever I choose, and for living wage pay. Many states offer services like these and a lot of companies are grabbing at this method so they can build relationships with workers before offering a good fit employee a more lasting position. Of course, you don't ever have to commit to permanent work, just stick to their commitment and building a good reputation that makes them look good. It's really the Uber of job markets and I'm excited to blend this sort of work into my creative pursuits. Programs like these will help so many people find meaningful contributions without starving a dream or themselves for that matter. I think it's a model that will help hard-working yet unconventional workers a place in society. Like self-publishing, I hope to see it flourish in the future!

In any case, much more creative work planned! I'm doing a sweeping edit of UnSung, adding a few scenes that support a spanning plot and getting those pesky homophones and errors knocked out. I know it will need at least one more sound edit before I decide on the next steps, but with a whopping 250K+ word count, it's a lot of ground to cover. All the same, since its sequel got a 73K start during NaNo, I'm really optimistic about the direction of this series. The real intimidator will actually be the fourth and final book. It's really going to be a wild ride with so many plots weaving to a final resolution. This series is a big one in terms of development, but I've had great practice from game series like Uncharted, Dragon Age and even Final Fantasy.

Yes, I know. Bad serial novelist! Games are not books! But I have plenty of those influences too. I was literally THAT GIRL--you know, the one who dug through boxes of books and read all summer when everyone else was swimming. One of my best summers involved discovering The Sisters of Eluria, The Summer Tree and Sabriel. Still, I've even used screenplays to inspire the way I approach plot. There are many wonderful and exclusive advantages to every medium and I truly labor to utilize what novels best offer. Novels can offer sensory and emotional excursions, for one. They can offer unique transitions and unconventional story telling formats that aren't quite as effective elsewhere.

In any case, enjoy the winter season! I won't insist you get into the holiday spirit and for some people, it's even gloomy and depressing. All the same, I still want all of my cold weather people to maneuver through this time of year with as much enthusiasm as you can muster. Hell, start yourself a nice winter hobby! Take up crochet or knit, write, draw, sculpt, paint, play video games, stare at walls. There's a lot of potential for internal growth in inclement weather, so take advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.