Friday, July 9, 2021

Weigh In on Korean Skincare Routine

 Back in December, I had one of my random ‘fits of hysterics’ and decided to chemically burn two bumps on my face that I constantly scratched open until they bled. Of course, I didn’t realize I got it on healthy skin and left it on too long and ended up with some gnarly scarring.

I’m not the type to believe my life is ruined over facial scarring, but I was worried that they would end up being puffy… and cause me to just pick at them again. I looked at scar healing creams and silicone bandages, but both have a sort of ‘masking’ feeling that I would not be able to leave alone either. 

So I looked into the 10-step Korean skincare method and it works for me. However, it is a learning process because all 10 steps are not a formula for everyone and you may want to chop some out. Here’s what I’ve learned.

3 steps are your daily minimum. Every time you want to take care of your skin, you should use an oil/foam combo cleanser, non-alcohol toner and moisturizer. The rest of the steps can be really relaxing unless you’re pressed for time or just tired, then it’s tedious. The first two steps are actually oil cleanser then foam cleanser, but you can absolutely use terrific combo cleansers. No matter what kinds you use, both will strip your skin and possibly leave it feeling a little tight and dry. Toners prep your skin to absorb moisture and a whipped moisturizer, something light, is best for day use, but a thicker overnight mask is good for evening. As long as you don’t mind keeping extra clean pillowcases handy. Keep to the fully absorbent moisturizers if you don’t want to leave product behind.

Exfoliation and sheet mask steps are also optional. These are what I consider once a week or even once a month spa day extras. Both of these will fall after the cleansing step. Exfoliating can be too abrasive or stripping for frequent use but if you’re noticing a build up of scaly or dry skin, exfoliation can lift that. A sheet mask often takes 10-20 minutes of use but it will pretty much cover steps like toning, ampoule and serum all in one. Some will need to be rubbed in, some rinsed. You can still follow it with a moisturizer and eye cream if you like. It’s not really a time or money saver since it’s actually quicker to use the small amounts of those steps anyway.

My personal choices? I use a double cleanser in a white lily scent (in my shower I use a floral scented double cleanser with a PMD cleaning wand) at the sink. I follow with a few drops of toner, directly in the hand. Cotton swabs absorb and waste so much product. I follow with an ampoule, the super greasy stuff. I realized over time that this order is set for a reason because it goes from greasy and thick to absorbent and thin. You end up with silly, dewy skin by the end. The serum is still oily but a bit thinner. I usually stick to 5-6 drops of each step but I like to rub it on my neck and upper chest too. Hyaluronic acid water cream is my next favorite after that. I then use a smoother, which is a sort of gel like moisturizer. Eye cream goes next, tiny drops applied directly around the eyes. At this point, I let things absorb for a few minutes, brush my teeth or put on body lotion, before returning to a moisturizer or SPF.

Other things I had to learn along the way; keep a sun friendly and not sun friendly option for the last steps. One of my eye creams has retinol which will make your skin more sensitive to light but also kicks so much ass. The other has ingredients that won’t cause sun sensitivity. Same for the moisturizer/SPF step. Sunscreen products tend to be pricier and are completely pointless if you’re going to bed or staying in on a rainy day. Keep your SPF handy for sunny and outdoor days but stick to your cheaper and even thicker moisturizers for your hermit days.

I’ve been doing this for months now and, because of how insanely healthy my skin is, I truly look forward to doing my routine. Any facial scarring is virtually invisible unless I point it out. I do still break out around my menstrual days, but that’s strictly hormonal. If you do need an acne regimen, my advice is to add a CICA cream after toning your skin. Mine does not smell pleasant so I like to mask it with all the smell good products but I forgive the smell since it absolutely zaps acne. Once your skin is completely dry, maybe an hour or two after your routine, CICA acne patches are amazing little clear patches you can’t see or feel so are definitely a bonus.

I actually acquired most of the products I use cheap through Ipsy and a Korean skincare box called BomiBox. BomiBox is pricier at $40 but you get several full sized products that last a long time and I’ve never gotten anything that isn’t incredible for your skin. Ipsy is cheaper for its lowest range but if you don’t pay for Glam Bag Plus or Ultimate, almost everything is sample or half size. If you want to focus on the skincare part of beauty, BomiBox is the clear winner.

And yes, I know the PMD Clean is expensive but I actually got that in a subscription box called FabFitFun. If you ever want to get a respectable hoard of healthy products, subscription boxes tend to get you there much faster than paying full price for each step.

The best part about healthy skin isn’t the vanity aspect. I do not pick at my face anymore. There is literally nothing left to tempt it. And when you’re highly sensory, it is one less thing to amplify your anxiety. All of the smells and liquids were a wonderful exploratory journey as well. 

I highly recommend the Korean skincare method for your best skin health. It truly worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.