Sunday, June 17, 2018

"I Can't Be Friends with a Bigot"

One of the woes of the information age is that, more often than not, we are more likely to witness the oversharing and impulsive thought diarrhea of even the most quiet and thoughtful people (present company not excluded). Every once in a while on my social media feed, I'll see the proud announcement to the effect of "I deleted people because this happens and these people I've known for years showed their true colors."

Back up for a second. What was the offending moment? A tasteless meme? Two vague sentences? Over time, I don't know about you, but I've started to brush these things off. I have a ton of friends on either side of the fence and both liberals and conservatives can jump on the train of tasteless, parroted opinions with no explanation as to what resonates with them or why they posted it, but if I know them for any length of time, there are other things to consider here: are they blurting that shit out and getting us in trouble with people in public or is this just internet noise?

I'll start to avoid friends or ditch them altogether if they are the kind of moron to say the n-word around strangers. If they do it when it's just and me and them, I speak the fuck up and tell them, however they feel about (or however they choose to use it), either stop doing it or stay away from me. The thing is, most people my age have learned what things can and can't be said to have a normal friendship. Even a scatterbrained cunt like me can remember which friends I can vent which ideas with. There are some friends where religion and politics are completely off-limits. Short of the revelation that someone is in a hate group or actively harming other human beings outside of feels, simply having an opinion I don't like is not going to terminate a friendship.

I know it's not popular for white people to notice color, but there are some older black men in my neighbor that clearly don't like white people. I hate to tell you this, but it's harmless and it doesn't stop me from waving hi to them every time. Not all racism is practiced hatred, just a strong unchallenged opinion. The worst thing you can do with a bigot is leave them to the ignorance of their opinions. These people don't need an echo chamber to say 'all x people are like this.' It might take a while, but sometimes you have to plant the seed to help someone consider extremities of thought might have exceptions. He doesn't need to know everything about me, or like everything about me, I can just be the white girl that waves to everyone. He can think I'm stupid or naive and it doesn't hurt my feelings.

I. Do not. Invest. In the opinions (or attitudes). Of anyone. But myself. There is no 'guilt by association' because I can and will speak up for myself and, as an adult, I've had no trouble doing so. I also make it a point to pick my battles, so sometimes when I stay silent, I've decided it's simply not worth it. People don't win arguments like they think they do. Unless the information presented is able to change someone's mind what THEY consider the better for them, you're just yelling into a pillow.

I know that sometimes my blog may turn someone off of their opinion of me. Despite all attempts at being both diplomatic and honest (it can be done), the reader will probably have some unavoidable hang-ups. The fear of being disliked should never silence you, should never prevent you from introspection and interaction. If there's one thing you should gather about me is that I'm both a tireless know-it-all yet still flexible of thought. My opinions are sometimes similarly unchallenged, no matter how much I endeavor to be sure that facts support them. Because I am imperfect, I also accept that people will challenge my comfort levels and knowledge.

Sounds crazy, I know, but you can be friends with a bigot. Their immovable opinions brought to light are usually not terminal to a friendship. We all draw lines in the sand-- I for one am not sticking around when the white hoods come out. However, I am seeing very flimsy thresholds for tolerance that border on bigotry themselves. I myself have always joked I am anti-Republican, but lo and behold, I do have Republican friends. I know because it came up when we first met and got comfortable enough to ditch the small talk. Yes, there was that moment for me, and likely them too, where a wariness settled in with that 'oh, you're one of THOSE' warning signs. However, the conversation didn't end there. I didn't quiz them up, demanding to know their stances. I truly enjoyed their company and their level of conservatism was made clear in our interactions. No flag waving, Bible-thumping, peeing on my leg at all. If I wanted to be ignorant, I'd throw that in their face and accuse them of all the ills of their party affiliation. However, I saw a human being working to enhance their way of life, their ideals, in the same way my beliefs and stances support my own.

Let me go back to the 'true colors' assumption from the beginning. This is the same fallacy of thought as considering alcohol a 'truth serum'. What people say in high emotion (or inebriation) does not reflect their 'true colors', I'm sorry to say. I was the sort of teenager that screamed 'I hate you' to my parents when I was sputtering for how I really felt, before I could FORM the true thought. I didn't hate them, I was just frustrated that I lacked the vocabulary just yet to tell them they didn't understand where I was coming from, was still struggling to understand it myself and being forced to do it right then was impossible. Sometimes, as humans, we are reactionary, inexperienced with a moment we are made to act or react in, but there are consequences to the sort of mistakes you can make in certain company. However, what I didn't know then was that pushing people away to be in my own head was NOT conducive to understanding. Making a habit of keeping people out of a process involving people is not going to give you the vocabulary you struggle with. While many of us need time to organize information to form the complete thought, we may need to humble ourselves to asking questions and reaching out to really satisfy the goal, then politely excusing ourselves to hear the thoughts in our own heads.

I usually stick to writing tips, but this does lead into concepts I touch upon in writing from time to time. There are countless quotes about the value of living life to enhance your writing, that you don't grow as a writer if you don't grow as a person, that chaining yourself to your desk is an act of immobility of thought. Bigotry and isolation does negatively affect your work unless your journey to confront and correct it enriches the conflict of your story. Yes, I am guilty of weeks of getting lost in writing, but one thing I enforce is breaks and sometimes just a short walk around the neighborhood. Some writers are terrified that tossing off their muse to take a break when the scene is just getting good means they risk losing that flow. 

Has that happened to you? In my case, it's always just the opposite. While writing UnNamed, I got interrupted by an unavoidable alarm when my head was just exploding with inspiration-- time to pick up the boys from school. I was in my head the whole walk, working out the scene I was itching to write, still mumbling in response to my nephews, and by the time I had gotten back to write, the ideas had only expanded. Even though it was a grey day, there was something meditative about the scenery, both familiar and real, that only fed the images and ideas in my head. I can't say for certain, but that scene might have been less than it was if I hadn't pulled away to consider it. It wasn't an emotional scene where hanging on may be more valuable to the impulse of that emotion. It may be worth adding the simplicity of that-- an emotional scene may need you to chain yourself to the moment, a thoughtful or logical scene may need the distance of thought.

Since I branched into talking about how flexibility of thought and circumstance blends into my writing, it's really time to tie up the post. It may be worth it to stick it out with a 'bigot'. They might be a conflict for you worth exploring. However, I do NOT condone what amounts to emotional abuse or some dangerous extremity that might being you to actual physical harm when they blurt out x word around the absolute worst audience. If you find that someone is consistently just ruining your moods, not giving you any grounds for inspiration or outright destroying it, don't stick it out. Sometimes, sentimentality can make us blind to just how bad it has gotten (hell, there are shows I watch well beyond enjoyment because I 'give it a chance to pick up'). I would never advise getting too deep into a toxic relationship. However, wave at the guy giving everyone the stink eye. Give stink eye to the loud bigot in line at the restaurant. Pick your battles, get a little uncomfortable, change some minds (especially your own).

Ah, but seriously-- don't lecture strangers. My blog is a good place to toss around ideas, but I'm not forcing anyone to listen or read. Creating a hostage situation to be heard is wasted wind to inflate your ego. Dial it back-- try leading by example. When people can see what actually works, they'll want to imitate that. Writing tips are often like that for me. Depending on how they are presented or considered determines whether I will give them any weight.

I haven't planned any posts-- I've been writing some scheduled posts, this one and one coming up concerning another look into gender and sexuality topics and why it's absurd that it's 'okay' or 'not okay' for a man/woman to write certain characters. Again, more musing than research. Typically, I reserve research for instructional posts (like the ones I did for formatting and cover design).

Looking into what I want to do for future posts. I'd love to do more instructionals-- no diplomacy needed and it lets me tap into my actual skill set.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me think of my family. My parents and I have very different views on many subjects, including politics, LGBTQ+ stances, and the general creation of the world and acceptance of science-based arguments. But we still get along and love each other. I'm pretty non-verbal in social media about such topics, though I'll throw my support in for friends who I truly wish happiness for. I have, however, confronted my mom on a post she shared when I felt it was abusing historical events just to lay political blame. She went on to argue in a way that it was Democrats vs Republicans, and I'm all "my issue isn't about parties, it's about exploiting those people who suffered through trauma." Neither of us changed our minds, but she could at least see my point by the time we got done chatting about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally relatable. My own family seems to be a mix of conservative and liberal ideas and most don't like to talk politics at all because of its exhaustive quality to never reach resolution. Exploitation to strengthen a bias is not my favorite presentation to an argument either. Systems in place to present privilege at the exclusion of another more qualified rubs me the wrong way too. If I realized I was being tolerated by my employer, that I wasn't fulfilling the duties of a job I was only hired into based on being a woman, I would be heated. Some people don't care how they get their foot in the door, but it's important to me that my merit is the incentive, not some quota. I don't always have the popular opinion or approach, so what I share is often limited as well. In order to explain an opinion, you almost have to immediately defend what you mean, constantly rewording it from how it could be twisted. At first, that might seem like a valuable writing exercise at the least, but then all you really learn that people will oppose it just to oppose it and you rarely get insight into what they actually took objection too. Just like critiques, arguments only hold value if they are constructive. I guess I could add that one of my least favorite strawmen is when people try to guilt you for caring about one issue by asking why you don't care about a bigger one. As if we aren't capable of caring about many things at once. However, this IS the information age and it just might not be reasonable to care about everything you read about in the same order as anyone else. Rather than say 'why don't you care about this?', I'd much rather someone say 'have you heard about this and if so, what do you think?' I personally find most news depressing, so there's a good chance there's a lot I don't know in current events-- I just don't try to ruin every day with bad news.

      Delete

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.