Sunday, September 30, 2018

One of those Update Posts...

Occasionally, I like to jump in and 'double post' (essentially just posting a real-time post on a day where a scheduled post went through as well).

I do have quite a few posts coming up that I had a lot of fun with; I use color combinations to explain some of my characters, using the post topics in a way that is related to my first series with some of them. Hopefully, it shows off my voice a bit. It can be tough, since my fantasy voice isn't quite the same as my first-person blogging voice, but I'm always looking for ways to bring them together.

Premature picture, but my excitement beat me to it...

Today, I conquered one of those exciting milestone moments. My epic fantasy WIP/draft has passed the 200K word mark! There is still quite a ways to go to finish up UnSung (which is going to easily be the size of 3 regular full-length books), but I'm creeping towards the finish line. I'm bouncing between the epilogue and the third part. Since my epilogue leads me into the book I want to work on for NaNoWriMo, I'm trying to keep it fresh throughout the month while I plan to hit the ground running.

Although I was aiming for UnSung to come out this year, I can't promise that now. Namely because I really want to make sure I edit it to the best of my abilities rather than just throwing it out there. I know I have the ability to write and edit well, but since this one is so big, I really want to make sure the facts are locked down and the transitions are smooth as butter.

A lot had changed from the original plans in the book itself even. This tends to happen as a writer really crawls into the cracks and gets to know the world they're creating from top to bottom. 

Anyways, now that I completely my weekly writing goal by breaking the 200K mark, I'm due for some much needed sleep. Thank you for sharing this little moment with me. I'm aiming for at least another 40K to finish, but there are quite a few plots I'm still working on, so that may be surpassed.

Either way, I still plan on publishing this in the 5x8 size. In order to try to keep the cost down though, I'm going to work to make the font as small as possible without causing anyone eyestrain to read it. I've already reduced font size from my first books by 2 pts, but I can probably get away with reducing it by 4 more points in the print format. I'll probably still keep line spacing at 1.2 since that does help visibility regardless of font size. I'll experiment with it a bit. This really only applies to my print lovers, since the ebook version is always fully flexible with user settings.

What are your own writing goals these days? For the NaNo people, are you working to tie up current projects to start fresh or are you continuing something you're working on now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.