Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Cats, Coffee and Halloween

Saturday night, we finally caved to having furbabies in the house again. After losing my dog and cat a few years ago, I just couldn't get over the feeling that getting another pet was replacing them. My sister's cat had a couple of kittens that finally reached weaning stages, so now we have She-Ra and Seven. It's nice to have cats in the house again. They adjusted pretty quickly and they do bring cheer to the house so it was time.

Onto the coffee...

You might also know I got a coffee brewer for my birthday and have since enjoyed the wonderful world of mass brewing, travel mug and K-cup coffee since. My dad's ex-wife, a sweet woman named Carole who told me I've always been the daughter she wish she had, had a bunch of K-Cup coffee in different flavors and types that she sent home with my dad. Not just coffee but cappuccino and lattes-- mocha, peppermint and my favorite, hazelnut. The bottom shelf of one cabinet is now completely my teas, drink mixes, and coffees and that also makes this girl over the moon.

As for Halloween, that's a week away, folks! I've done two of the four planned covers and it's highly likely I'll finish the other two this week as well. They're absolutely beautiful. For the first one, I went half and half, blending a photo with digital painting, but it made me confident enough to just source a photo and paint independently. I went with a simple stock texture background that will just change colors over the series and then each front and back cover will contain half a face with a solid spine between them. There will also be an object behind the title, something in theme with the book (there's a dagger on the first and a lute on the second, but haven't decided on the other two yet). Because I scrapped the original covers that I hadn't really planned, I do plan on posting the cover drawing I'm not using for UnSung sometime prior to its release. It's done in more of a comic style whereas I used more realism for the current ones. I'm very proud of these so far so it will be difficult not to share them right away.

In any case, proceeds for The Magical Book of Wands will be donated to the American Library Association. Preorder this anthology, that I am proud to be a part of, before its Halloween release and help us fight to keep public libraries available. Libraries aren't just for readers. They also provide valuable community services like free internet and children's programs. Authors will not be taking any proceeds so if you still wish to support us, follow our links provided after our stories to find our work or find us on Patreon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7T24SG

That wraps things up for now. It'll be back to digital painting, scrambling to finish what I can prior to NaNoWriMo and maybe doing some diamond painting. Holy hell, the diamond chips are tiny. I've never done this before and they're definitely smaller than even my Mini perler beads, so there will probably be a lot of swearing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.