Sunday, November 25, 2018

Be Thankful, But Not Too Thankful

Thankful? Sounds like a great topic to cover for Thanksgiving!

The number of sales you get will rarely ever add up to the amount of people who actually buy it. This was something I came to realize well before I became a published author. In the past I would endlessly gush, give them that feel good response before they'd actually follow through. Yet it would be a response unequal to the actual follow-through and my sales records, humble as they are, always pointed to the reality. They'd gotten their cookie then skipped out.

Over time, I've learned the best way to prompt a follow-through was to deliver a pitch anyway. Let them know how enthusiastic I am about their interest and my work, then ask them to post a public pic to help promote if they do. In that way, I could keep my enthusiasm up regardless of the follow-through and not cringe when it didn't happen. Rather than get my hopes up, I learned to just use it as an opportunity to promote myself and interact, which was how I balanced out the reward system.

Talking about marketing can make my skin crawl. It's a lot about underhanded maneuvers that I just never got comfortable with. Promotion has to have an element of real connection for me or I arouse too much suspicion about whether my work is worth it. That's something I know better than to discuss, something as personal as someone asking me how much money I make. When you display any doubt, you give people room to haggle and bully you out of honest work. I've had people try to ask me to make a complex crocheted piece for less than the cost of the yarn. I've had people who never bought my work message me just to say I was charging too much in-game money (currency you get free just for logging in, at that) for a style they don't like. It's part for the course, but rather than take the bait, I wish them luck and politely encourage them to look elsewhere. I won't undercut myself or another creative by devaluing what I do and neither should you! If your work is worth it to someone, rejoice! If it isn't, put it behind you. Chances are, your work is demanding enough as is and trying to change to please everyone will weaken your work until the quality itself degrades.

Sometimes, a bit of negativity can lead you on a gem hunt you haven't considered. Your outright trolls can unknowingly lead you to something you hadn't considered. Creatives are problem solvers first and foremost so a snide remark can be worth consideration, even if it's in the opposite direction. I didn't start imitating the Dragon Ball Z artwork one person grumbled about wanting, but I did consider adding more variation to my style (although it leaned on realism more than shonen anime). On occasion, I'll even ask someone to throw a challenge at me, something they haven't seen from me (for the record, I did do Toriyama style artwork in high school. It was short-lived because it wasn't what held my interest). Don't automatically take a bitter pill with even outright venom. Throw a little sugar on it and leave 'em salty!

Being grateful if not polite is always where my range tends to sit. However, I WILL gush endlessly when my supporters come through. Erika, one of my dearest friends, always lets me know when she has my next book on the way. Emily, one of my oldest friends, even when she's strapped for cash, she'll ask for my books for her birthday or Christmas from her family. My dad usually gets a copy both for himself and me. Debbie is not only a dear friend but a longtime supporter of my art, even a patron through Patreon! She not only buys my books, she also bought me a congratulations on being published gift, a USB key I keep all of my files on to wear as a necklace. My aunt bought at least the first book and one of mom's old school mates, Bob Halloran, bought the first two for his niece. 

I also know these are it for the print sales, but I track and remember all of the people who come through while I struggle to be taken seriously. These are the people I've wholeheartedly thanked for coming through. I also have friends who share my sales links or allow me to post on their channel. It doesn't matter that they haven't made my work explode; it only matters that they care enough to show some support.

Thanking people when they come through is very important to me. Otherwise, I briefly thank people for their interest or support anyway. I have zero reviews but that's okay too. I don't drain my resources on chasing them down, just focus on my work and the ones who give me a chance. I'm working towards the next big milestone-- completing my adult epic fantasy UnQuadrilogy. I have more ideas lined up. My idea of celebrating is usually jumping right into the next goal. The when of that is in the air since I follow the ideas. 

However you choose to accept your victories, water down what could be a defeat. Humility doesn't mean sinking into depression. The idea of letting someone break me down only angers me these days. No one gets that power. External gratification can be amazing, but keep a reserve of self-empowerment on the ready. In most cases, your detractors don't have the courage you do. Yet even if a famous author tears you to shreds, it's actually never a better reason to stick with it. Hell, run with it! 'Read the book (famous author) said makes them choose to eat cat shit on a dare rather than read it!'

Have any stories to share of how you overcame negative critics? I'm interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.