Tuesday, June 23, 2020

I’m Whitey

So, I got my genetic testing back. No surprise that I’m 100% European. Not even a hint of elsewhere. Mostly German, Polish, Irish, British, Swiss, Scandinavian, and probably polar bear. But this also means I have a low propensity for any diseases and I’m not a carrier of any malignant genes, so... maybe I shoulda had kids. At 38 years old though, I’m thinking hell to the nah. I’ve raised boys who are teenagers now and that’s always been enough for me.

Also, fun stuff, I have the genetic makeup to build muscle like a titan, higher than average in the power athlete category. But I noticed this last time I worked out and tried losing weight. I dropped weight at a snail’s pace and built up muscle like nobody’s business. That... kind of inspires me to do it again. 

Possible lactose and gluten intolerances could be the culprit for my chronic stomach issues so that’s something to check out. Nothing a more conscious diet wouldn’t fix if that is the case!

All around, I’m really enjoying the results. The traits had me laughing a bit though. Very low chance of having a widow’s peak. Whoops. I’d say that I definitely beat those odds there. But it did nail my hair and eye color down. Dark/light brown and blue/green eyes. 

I’m pleasantly surprised that my health markers are so favorable, with definite areas I can fix, not just genetically cursed. Diet definitely seems to be the culprit, something I can explore with a doctor and will do.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot else to share. I’ve been too low in moods to work on any projects. Mostly been playing games and just trying to ride it out. It happens, it sucks, but it does go away. Sometimes I have to push a little but that can make it worse if I’m not careful. In any case, self care and awareness and now some genetic testing help to move on. 

Tomorrow could be a better day but I’m making the most of today by continuing to explore my genes. I’d highly recommend 23andme to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.