Thursday, December 21, 2017

Time Travel, Maybe

It's been more than a week since my last blog post, but rather than being swallowed by writing binges, I've been doing my best to try and color base the sketches for my third book, The Truth about Heroes: Menage a Trois. It's a deceptively sexy title considering that this is probably one of the least sexy books in the series. I do have more provocative sketches regardless.

As for the count, I have ten full size sketches to base, the twelve partial inserts and the panorama that I hope to get set up in the next three days. Once I do that, I'd love to juggle it with writing more of UnSung. I'm struggling a bit with Part One, to be honest. I know what I want from Part Two but it's a little tricky figuring out how to get the players in position. I only had four definite continuing characters from the first book, but who else would help move this one? I felt a little blind, but I've built on it a bit. I think I'm due for a long walk to try to hash that out better.

So a bit of time traveling happened. Blinked and I'm a week in the future.

Before I disappear into my work again, I'd like to point out something really interesting in the difference between reader and writer groups. Readers are pretty unanimous on wanting to visualize the characters for themselves. Writers in the groups I'm in are almost constantly telling and showing you what they think their characters should look like. I'm going to have to agree with the readers, even as a writer. I do love to visualize the characters and even draw them. It's been the theme of my vanity project after all. However, I've also found more joy in not laboring to NEED a visualization for depth of character. In fact, I found that ditching all but necessary details has been liberating for the growth of a character.

Plus there's an annoying amount of humble bragging becoming popular. I might criticize what I would like to do differently, but I will make it clear that I am damn proud of my work. I'm not going to solicit people for compliments by pretending it's not that good. No one shares something they think is complete garbage. If someone is going to post their work, I won't bother commenting if the language is wishy-washy. Although coming right out to say you want people to make you feel better is pretty pathetic too. I think we all have conditions for a response-- mine is pretty simple. Say what you like, say what you don't like, invite people to critique or comment on their tastes.

I've also started avoiding the 'I put on my pants today' crowd that wants congratulations for every mundane step they take. They are so frequently treating their groups like personal blogs that I skip reading their 'I wrote words, I posted pictures I took on a walk' posts simply because of the sheer frequency. Once, maybe twice a day for a main post is pushing it, but some of these people go for the gusto in their need for constant validation with half a dozen or more trite posts you can find in any WikiHow self-help page. It's hard to maintain the discipline when you want to share, believe me I know, but you're more likely to be silently unfollowed than make fans/friends. I also know because I'm likely to unfollow that sort. People are far more encouraged by results.

I'm not saying by any measure of 'success'. I have received a lot of kind words about my writing style and insight, my unique drawing style, my immensely positive outlook. My success is pretty humble, but it doesn't dictate my reason for doing it. I doubt I could possibly be more motivated than I am now for sheer love of what I'm doing.

Yes, I know, I get a little snippy and annoyed, but only because I cringe at mistakes I've made. Really, no one could have told me differently but I'm admittedly a curmudgeon sometimes when I see those things I didn't like about myself. So of course, I typically ignore those posts but enjoy a bit of venting on it. Really, social media is very rare on the warm fuzzy moments. Emailing or messaging my close knit friends or talking to them in person beats all. I do remember a time where I thought if not for social media, I'd be completely disconnected. Can't be further from the truth. I do disconnect because, hell, I'm a busy chick. I draw, I write, I plan big and work hard. I can be isolated for months if no one reaches through and wants to hang out. 

Because I'm a time traveler. Months can pass before I realize where time has gone. I don't regret it, but believe me, I love when people reach through the haze and want to bail me out for a bit. I'm not likely to reach out to anyone but I'll drop some time for a valuable friend.

I'll leave you with that. More to do! I have a body of work to create...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.