Monday, December 11, 2017

Invisible Woman

I'm not the sort of person that wears their heart on their sleeve and I'm not particularly good at 'selling myself'. I have this monumental enthusiasm to tell stories and it's a love that holds no genres. More often than not, it takes place in fantasy worlds because my knowledge of the real world is limited, to say the least. To me, writing in real world places is akin to fanfiction where you're borrowing established canon and either following it or bending it or altogether breaking it. Regardless, it's still difficult for me to talk with complete confidence.  I don't write for trends, I don't stop and remove the uncomfortable parts.  Often it's a very integral part of the human experience. It's awkward and fantastic.  Kinda like me.

Nevertheless, there is very little that surprises me.  There is very little I have ever seen that is even original. A lot of my stories go to the trouble of exploring both character intricacies and the reason why so many worlds are both structured and broken, often in a world that is both relatable and absurd. And what are heroes if not relatable and absurd? If you follow the news, how long are people actually revered before they are yesterday's news?  How many of your idols become people when you meet them?

When I wrote my first nine book series (of which I am already playing with the idea of a prequel), I started that journey with one thing in mind-- I wanted to explore heroes as people despite their larger than life status, to explore why societies turn to tyrants and flawed beings to uphold their way of life. It's tough to change your mind on long held beliefs, but it's something I have done time and again. Grieving for things lost isn't always something we have the luxury to do, and in my case, I dare not let my thoughts go that path. Some people need to feel every bit of it.  For me, that is a dark road I might not return from. 

Ugh, I'm still kind of sick from the weekend, so I'm not sure if I'm making a damn bit of sense. looool

In any case, I still have a campaign going but I have absolutely no clue how to encourage people to preorder.  So read the very short excerpt that REALLY doesn't cover all that's going on and if you know someone that might like it, encourage a preorder. Other than that, I got nothing.  I have things to write and if trad-pub goes splat, I'm self-publishing anyway.  I have kids to raise and stories to write so I can't stay in one place too long with anything. Here's to hoping all of this hard work doesn't go to shit!  lol  I absolutely love my little group of loyal fans, but being new is excruciating. So much doubt, so much stress. I write to counter the stress, so at least it's productive. 

Stay visible and keep writing!

I'm going to mainline this coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.