Monday, July 6, 2020

My first review!

Well, if you’re a writer, then you know getting a decent review can be like pulling teeth. That’s very much a reason why I never bothered to ask anyone to write one. I set out to publish just to tuck it under my belt, put a feather in my cap, pick your old-timey metaphor.

So it came as a pleasant surprise to get a notification from Smashwords to say that I actually got one! I’ll post it and share my own thoughts.

First off, it needs to be said that I really truly appreciate this review. It starts with an assessment in editing and grammar. Although both ‘spitting image’ and ‘loathe’ are actually correct uses, it’s true enough that there is both a grammatical debate on splitting image/spitting image/spit and image and this is a historical branching, none being incorrect, just a preference. As far as ‘loathe’ goes, while ‘loathe’ is considered a verb and ‘loath’ an adjective, they are also historically used interchangeably and the spelling is not controversial enough to be misunderstood when used.

I’m very happy, also, that he does consider the work epic fantasy. That’s very much in debate when a woman writes sexual scenes, sadly. It’s a good confirmation that the overall genre was recognizable.

As far as the battle scenes goes, he very much confirmed what I actually hoped was the case. I was not looking to write ‘strong’ or detailed battle scenes. In fact, that was always a turn-off for me as an epic fantasy fan. I don’t want to be encumbered by too many details of strategy, weaponry, or vocabulary. While some do like this, I chalk it up to taste and I don’t feel like it hurts the intent. While it’s probably true that none of the characters appear to be in mortal danger, that also wasn’t the intent in this first book. I considered this book to be an exploration of this world, a playground for the introduction of the characters while making the villain ambiguous and not yet important. It’s about the driving forces and motivations prior to learning the bigger picture. I do hope that the other elements become more clear to readers through the series. I’m a slow burn writer.

What I did appreciate is that the plots and characters did come off as deep and entertaining. This, of course, was the primary intent. And yes, the sex scenes aren’t for everyone, but I aim to use sex scenes both to display vulnerability and flaws and, undoubtedly, those who aren’t a fan of them will likely miss the point. It’s a risk we take as writers, and a controversial choice. In this first book, they aren’t particularly detailed and I didn’t aim to make them comfortable. However, as long as the story itself holds water, it’s forgivable that they might be distracting to some.

Overall, I feel like this was a very valuable experience. I am not quite so forgiving of this book, to be honest, and it was an odd decision that I didn’t perfect what I felt was ‘wrong’ with it. For one, when I found it on an old storage disc, it was a mess. It actually underwent a lot of correction to both awkward dialogue and weak characterization. However, I was undoubtedly drawn to the basic plots and potential and decided to make something of it. I believe my priority became to take an awkward base and use it to mature and develop the writing as the characters grew. In a sense, to show the author was evolving with the story. Perhaps an odd choice, but a captivating challenge, one that actually paved the way for the entity that later watches over the characters with the same awkwardness and longing.

Nonetheless, this is why I believe this review so personally successful. It did, indeed, make me reflect on the choices I made and appreciate the differences in personal taste. I look forward to each and every review, bad or good, for this valuable exchange of thought and consideration.

For that reason, I’ve chosen to read a couple of his books, Shalmar’s Folly and Seven Very Scary Stories, to also review. He informed me that many of his books are free this month, so if you’re looking for a fantasy or horror book to try, look for Clinton Seeber. I’ll post my reviews of his books when I do them, but don’t let it influence your decision either way. I think a good review should ultimately be helpful to the author rather than other readers, especially when they’re relatively new or unknown. I appreciate that the review was both, mostly, spoiler free and helpful to me.

And no, I’m not at all offended that I’m not a ‘master of my craft’. I don’t have one particular focus or talent so it’s reasonable that I may just be good at something rather than great. I am very content that at least my work is entertaining. I hope that I can get more surprise feedback over time and constantly improve. It is also my hope that even fame can not dull my ability to improve and entertain. I don’t expect fame, though, just the enjoyment of continuing to create.

This has been a wonderful learning experience and I am very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.