Saturday, November 11, 2017

How Do You Second Draft?

So, main story is mapped out, some things are definitely shaky, but it's time for that second draft-- a lot of editing, fiddling, fleshing out and scrapping. I'm going to cover some of the methods I've used and their ups and downs.

  1. Edit as you go.
Pros:
*If your creative muse took a break, it lets you change pace.
*Editing a chapter at a time helps you remember facts and find errors quicker.
*Less work for later, but you may need to take notes.

Cons:
*If your muse is full blast, this could risk a block. Switching from creative to technical might be simple, but vice versa is tricky sometimes.
*You may be inclined to not check it again later because it passed early checks.
*It might make more work for you than needed. You will still want to do a full edit regardless.

My friend Joe told me that Kevin Smith does this with his cast and crew, but movies are also a different dynamic of writing and process. I use this method sparingly since it can break flow on so many levels.

Which is why I switched to..

      2. Edit in full (digital).

Pros:
*Focusing only on the technical keeps you from being too married to the creative process and more able to establish flow.
*Helps you find factual errors quicker.
*The quickest method

Cons:
*If you need to add or subtract a lot, you'll probably have to sweep through it many times.
*Can become tedious and make you rush past part you'd focus on better in smaller bursts.
*While it's probably the quickest, chances are one pass won't be enough for complex stories, which no longer makes speed a pro.

My final edits usually take this step, but I find it tedious to do this step repeatedly. I'm currently trying--

     3. Edit in full (print and scribble!)

Pros:
*You break away from a computer screen with a printed draft
*I find it easier to go back and write revisions directly on a page-- keeps me from adding clunky lines and better see transitions
*If you love handwriting on occasion, this is refreshing.  Switching up hand positions with marathon writing sessions prevents RSIs.

Cons:
*Even with duplex printing, you're still printing a book. You'll need space to write revisions so spacing can't be sacrificed. And ouch on the paper and ink.
*Make sure you're binding or numbering pages. It can get disorganized quick if not.
*It's pretty much only a good method for working in one place, like home. I have an accordion folder that I use for porting around drawings, but porting around a manuscript isn't that... Portable or convenient.

I love this method for curling up on my bed and giving my eyes a break from the screen.  Eye strain is a real issue if you're spending more than 8 hours a day in front of one.

So here's the question: what other methods of drafting might be out there?

Also, how do you feel about outlines/notes?  Personally I tend to take notes and run outlines sporadically.  I did diligent outlines for my first series but it got old quick.  When you're doing all of the work yourself, it might not make you more organized or cause you to overthink it. Over time, I tend to only jot down things that will come later in that book or series when I set up the premise earlier.  I'll write down important names and locations and connections, but most outlines tend to never get used again.  They can be helpful for memorizing facts, so that is useful, but I've never needed to refer to them for anything besides the illustration process.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.