Monday, May 14, 2018

Encourage, Don't Discourage

Working with other writers for an anthology is a wholly new experience for me and one that puts diplomacy to the test. We are individual authors, all with very different styles, audience and intent so there's going to be a little squirming.

It came time to choose cover designs for the anthology and one of the writers was a little brutal but not wrong about her critique of the choices. I won't go into details but she then posted what she thought of as better designs which ticked off another one of the collaborators. It didn't devolve into all-out battle but it reinforced what I've learned about diplomacy.

From the onset, I don't think that the design abilities of said covers were irredeemable. I've seen decent work from her in the past and it's clear there's some potential and she wants to grow and learn. Really, the worst you can do is tell someone you can do it better, this is how you should do it, or just let someone else do it. I've said it before but we all start somewhere and sometimes it can take years upon years to reach proficiency. It's through failure that you grow and through application that you learn what people want to see. If you treat everything like a secret and put nothing out there, you work in an echo chamber.

While I agreed that the designs as they were might hurt sales, that's not a helpful assessment in moving forward. Instead, I picked one that I thought was best then added suggestions about what elements to tweak to make them work. Things to try, things that might help her see for herself what works. Diplomacy is not something I came by overnight. My nature is more than a little impulsive so it did take years to make it a habit. Some people fear that diplomacy is about ass-kissing, watering down your voice or some other nonsense. Diplomacy done well creates listeners and clarifies your points, making people more likely to respect and respond to your ideas.

It's not censorship to consider the weight of your words. It's making sure they do not go to waste, that they aren't misunderstood. The internet is full of people who 'speak their mind' and how often are those people phased out and ignored because they are heavy handed? Self-expression is important but do your words really represent your potential? You don't need to sacrifice wit or humor or style to be diplomatic. In fact, a bit of forethought can enhance it.

While I certainly have the skills to say 'just let me do it', I have to admit I want to push people to grow rather than succumb to my own ego or impatience. I am often inspired by things outside of myself and it seems inspiration is even amplified if I am inspired by someone I've inspired. It's much better to create a creative loop! Feed off of each other, outside of comparison or skill, just feed on the shared experiences.

2 comments:

  1. I've been involved in a few anthologies, and there's only one that I tried giving feedback on with regards to the cover. I pointed out that the lack of shadows beneath cover's subject made it look unnaturally placed, but my feedback was ignored by the anthology's organizer and never passed along to the cover designer so I just shrugged it off. After being highly involved with the production of that anthology, I decided I no longer wanted that level of participation and now I only submit stories and nothing else. I know that I'd never want to be on the organizing end of an anthology.

    That aside, I totally agree. We should be constructive and encouraging with our feedback, not tear others down with conceit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I tread lightly. I submitted my story and the cover for my entry, but the group was opened up to voting for the main cover. The story is only committed to the anthology for a year before it comes back to us to do as we please. I abhorred group projects in art school so I also know it's not a position I'm eager to take on again. You can get group leaders that want to take on everything, play the pariah but refuse help. Or sometimes you're the group leader of a rather lazy bunch that end up not even doing their bare minimum and if you want it to proceed, you either sub people in or scrap it. Sometimes you do get a good bunch, but it's always a gamble with a new crowd. I'd like to continue putting up short stories with this group if it doesn't burn out. There was a generous span of time and other than this incident, no spats about the process. I'd like to maybe try short story competitions in the future. It's a good break in the marathon process of a novel. Sometimes they boost each other along.

      Delete

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.