Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Mental Dental Adventures

It shouldn't surprise me that yesterday's double extraction revealed that my stubborn nature went so far as to afflict my teeth as well. Long, curved roots. Great news if I want to keep a tooth, bad news if they need to go. So after a couple hours of having my jaw pushed to its mobility limits and the sickening crack of bone, there was some relief to be had.

Kind of. Risk of dry socket remains and the ingesting of blood and novocaine is hell on my stomach, the sort that even scrambled eggs didn't fix. The ache is ever present and I cringe as I remember the shattering of teeth. Haven't gotten any real sleep yet, but the slow ooze of blood and dull throb of an abused jaw are more present than total exhaustion just yet.

I still have to go back for fillings and a cleaning. As much as I loathe having my mouth invaded, I do love the assistants and my dentist is kind and decisive. Much better than a certain nervous one in my past that constantly stopped during a root canal to ask if I was going to bite (when I'd not given any indication I would at all). Fillings and a cleaning are cake compared to extractions. Especially since these stubborn bastards needed to be water drilled loose. They really weren't responding to the extraction tool at all.

Tylenol 3 is my temporary friend. Nothing is being very nice to my stomach though... 

Anyway, because of the stubbornness of those teeth, working on my books is postponed. I shouldn't be held up too long, assuming the clots stay put. It's not my first extraction but the socket wasn't as deep as these are so I need to take care. Just glad it's done and I can look forward to a healthier mouth. Tooth pain and discomfort are one of those all-encompassing bastards that can demand an exhausting amount of focus and care.

Teeth are toddlers. You can't reason with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.