Sunday, February 16, 2020

Making a Pattern for a Bodysuit

Finding a pattern for a solid one piece bodysuit proved fruitless on an internet search, although I did find this:
Which proved to be a good guide for the idea. I wanted long sleeves on mine, rather than this sleeveless template and the torso and legs didn't work for the proportions of my DreamFairy doll body so...

I decided I'd make my own.

If you look at my previous post, you'll see that, while not as tight as I'd like, I did measure the proportions right and it only needs to be taken in here and there.

So it's a math problem. In this case, you'll need the following measurements:
  • Foot length
  • Ankle to knee
  • Knee to hip
  • Knee to crotch (half inseam)
  • Full leg (ankle to hip)
  • Ankle to fullest part of shin
  • Knee to fullest part of thigh
  • Crotch to fullest part of thigh
  • Crotch to neck
  • Hip to thinnest part of waist
  • Waist to fullest part of busy
  • Shoulder to elbow
  • Shoulder to wrist
  • Elbow to wrist
You'll also need the lengths around:
  • Ankle
  • Fullest part of shin
  • Knee
  • Fullest part of thigh
  • Hips
  • Waist
  • Fullest part of busy
  • Upper arm
  • Elbow
  • Wrist
I did these measurements in centimeters and added 1 cm for each circumference measurement for fabric allowance.

Using the diagram above, you'll see there is a sort of H shape to the body. To find the odd hourglass shape of the legs, I plotted the lengths first along a straight line representing the legs then centered each measurement along it. So, for instance, if the fullest part of the thigh was 15cm, I added one cm, then divided it in half to 8cm. The line then extends 8cm to the left and right of the leg line.

I guess pics would be easier so I'll have to tag this post then come back with pattern pics later. The results did match the picture above, with the exception of how I figured the long sleeves. I had doubts that blobby thing would work for my stick thin doll but, lol and behold, my measurements and drawing turned out much the same.

Of course, I hand sew so my doubts lasted the hours it took to sew it then try it on, but it did work, and quite well.

As for adjusting, I'll add more about that in a later post. I'll be using safety pins to mark and sew the corrections I need but I learn and observe as I go so I don't have much insight there yet.

If anything so far is unclear, feel free to comment and I'll know to clarify that in particular! For now, I'm taking a break. I've been crocheting and sewing all day and it's overdue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.