Friday, February 21, 2020

We're All Judging

There are levels to this judging concept that people tend to avoid. You don't have to claim you aren't judgemental to be virtuous.

It's enough that you just don't have to tell them.

I'm sure you've seen people on social media that air out their business and it's hard not to want to say something, either telling them to shut up or just play the devil's advocate or, hey, give unsolicited advice about how they could be perfect like you! It's what we don't do that lets us keep our peace of mind though. We've judged but, lo and behold, we move on.

This is now called perception. When you view something and form opinions, that's where judgement and perception mingle. It's how you either avoid or interact that determines whether you've appointed yourself judge or perceiver.

Now, I am considered more of a judger than a perceiver. Why? Because I'm the sort to interact more often. It's part of a creative cycle to judge your own work and determine what needs to be fixed and I relish it. However, when I cast judgement on others, what happens is encouragement, not criticism.

Don't get me wrong; I don't encourage people when I believe they're overstepping or in the wrong. I'm happy to stick my head in the sand and avoid those. But on occasion, when I see someone making some wrong choices but very close to doing right for themselves, I'll give them a nudge. Hey, that's a good plan, just don't let the obstacles distract you.

That's why it's okay to judge. It's okay to have a moral scale and it's okay not to. It's okay to try to empathise and put yourself in their shoes. Sometimes it's even okay to offer a pair of your own. But as the saying goes, don't loan what you can't afford to give away. There is certainly a bitterness in always clanging a gavel through life, so if you want to embrace your judging nature, simply find outlets where those talents are appreciated. 

It's much more satisfying than being a social media troll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.