Thursday, July 12, 2018

Do We 'Need' to Overcome Writer's Block?

Revisiting old topics is sometimes necessary when we find ourselves thinking about things more. There's a lot of pressure, not just from ourselves, but sometimes our writing groups or fans, to perform at 'certain' levels, but it's neither a finite amount nor something you can narrow down as a fault in discipline. When self-editing especially, it's necessary to create a kind of distance from your drafts and, depending on the genre, filling it with other work or writing isn't always the best course. First, why is it necessary? Well, maybe more so the case for your first edit of a draft, this is where it always seems to be important in my own work. I can't exactly make it 'new' so I have to detach myself from emotional connection or my love affair with the characters to be as impartial as possible. Luckily, my memory becomes shit when I step away for at least a week. And yes, it's a familiar voice, so it's still easy to gloss over things if I'm not careful.

However, this isn't about editing, so why does it pertain to writer's block? Depending on the complexity of your story, it's not really that different. Sometimes you get stuck and it's not because your story is grossly flawed. I wouldn't immediately jump to the worst assumption there. Sometimes, a 'block' is a signal that stepping away to think or brainstorm is needed. You may not want to outline for fear of it becoming too restrained, but you know at the point of a block that just free-flow isn't something you're confident in. You might even panic because you're bored. Oh gawd, if you're bored with your OWN story, what hope IS there anyone else will like it, right?

Right now, it's not about the 'anyone else'; this may be something you know already, something you hear a lot in many blogs. Right now, it's not even about you, really. Everything's not about you. It's probably not even about the characters, the story, the plot. Ha, so what does that leave? No, I'm not going to get all existential with you. It actually is about the story.

I know, it's general. 'The story.' Holy hell, isn't that all the things? Well, yes and no. You've probably gone for a short walk and came back. Nothing. You probably went full boot-camp and crawled back. Nothing still. You might have even gone on a vacation to the most inspiring place you've ever been and come back. How is there still nothing?

You're probably thinking about that a lot and it's driving you mad. Maybe you only have a golden hour or two a day where writing is even possible and you want to make the most of it. I don't need to tell you about the unconscious pressure that puts on you (but I am, and also using passive language to make you think I'm not). I get it. I've been all those places. Sometimes, we worry about what we're not doing and not thinking about the actual story at all. Sometimes, we're brainstorming like Thor-- no, wait, not brainless Marvel comic Thor, but like the bolt-throwing storm of the century type. Is it working? Still no?

So I've said before that it's sometimes attitude, sometimes the pressure you put on it.

Now, I'm here because I actually writer's-blocked myself from working on writing. Be a consumer, I said, but it's driving me absolutely nuts and I had to break my own rules. It's not that I'm completely afraid my muse will give me the middle finger (only a little afraid) but because sometimes we want to take advantage of the enthusiasm when we DO have it, knowing blocks are a thing.

However, it's this trial at disciplining myself NOT to write where I stumbled on some great ideas. I wasn't brainstorming and sometimes I was even fully engaged in shows that were nothing like my current work at all. Yet consuming and disciplining myself NOT to be a disciplined writer actually created a sort of fresh void for ideas to play. I didn't chase them away just because I'm supposed to be relaxing. I jotted them down, whatever little pieces were ninja-starred into my skull, then resumed my consuming.

Creativity is very much like a faucet, but you don't have access to the handle (although you can squish your hand over the opening and send the flow everywhere you don't want it when it's full blast). Experienced writers sometimes give you the impression that they have their own handle, but an abundance of confidence and output can make them feel like they do. Write, write, write, read, read, read and you too can be like me. Nah, don't worry-- it's not about gaining full confidence and control. Blocks aren't intentional procrastinating (at least, not always) and sometimes a trickle is what you have to work with. You're not really looking for perfect flow. It may not be where you want it, and maybe you're even on a deadline, but sometimes you have to extend any expectation. The tools that you use are going to part of your journey. 

Another writer's toolbox is what works for THEM. You probably think getting a toolbox makes things a little easier somehow, but you're not really going to know how to use them even when they tell you. How exactly can you describe how much pressure it takes before the tools break? How exactly do you measure the efficacy of a tool against a completely different story? Yes, read lots and lots of advice, be a little paranoid about the mastery of your craft, but don't look for 'shortcuts' or magic methods. Learn to spot how YOU procrastinate or when YOU might need a special tool for your story or peace of mind. Go ahead and poke around on blog posts about method (and madness). Shop for the writer you want to be.

You don't want another writer, famous or obscure, to tell you how to 'overcome' what might be a natural process. There's a reason why doctors are leery of dispensing depression medication. It's not just about the addiction, it's also sometimes masking an issue you NEED to confront. While some states in life are undesirable, treating them like they're not supposed to be there may be what's blocking you. Maybe you need to feel through something intuitively, feel the uncomfortable predicament, and know that you will eventually make the breakthrough you need to.

I'd advise not to give yourself deadlines unless you're officially working for a paper or publisher, not even for practice-- take advantage of not pressing yourself with expectations to gather other tools you'll need in the meantime. It's like trying to find a better job when you're working an overtime job already. You might be making it harder to find time or priority.

For those of you who DO have deadlines, from editors of a paper, publishers, etc. Well, it's not so much to you, but for those who are LOOKING to be in your shoes-- you might not understand how to give yourself a generous deadline, might need to extend it from time to time. You might also need to suck it up and turn in something you're not 100% on. No shame in that. I can't really speak for what that's like in writing, but deadlines in other areas are not new to me. Generally, being able to describe what went into it and why you need more time without projecting guilt as if you're at fault is the best you can do.

I"m going to wander off the topic since I said everything that needed to be said, but I do want to go after a rather shaky reason on why people insist on 'professional' editing. I hear it said time and again that a 'different set of eyes' is important to standard things like proofreading. That seems to imply that only an editor's first sweep is valuable. However, a professional editor worth anything isn't just a one-off thing. I certainly get that some people are emotionally attached or they just can't edit for shit. That certainly makes an 'outside' editor an important asset. Maybe I struggle with the attitudes about this because I'm a big proponent of self-editing since I'm capable. Perhaps some people are myopic about factual errors or pacing or development. Another good reason that I would say necessitates it. Maybe you're afraid your ego is too close to become detached. However, most writers I know that DO use editors, it's largely because they have a long-standing and sometimes even partial or 'safe' relationship built with that person. In that sense, aren't we still finding someone, 'brutal' or not, that complements our work? It's never fresh eyes once the work has been established. People I've edited for more than once, I even tell them that they may want new readers with every go. Not because I feel like it's harder to tell them the truth (quite the opposite-- I get more comfortable with criticism as the relationship builds. Not that I hold back ever. It's more a feeling that it's not as difficult). More because 'fresh eyes' aren't going to come from the loyalty you build. Ever. So how important are 'fresh eyes' really? I suppose it's up to the efficacy in each process (and yet another tool that isn't one size fits all).

Let's face it, all the fans, editors, villages and hugboxes do not a quality piece make, but then who judges 'quality' isn't some golden standard either? If literary critiques want to bitch about the quality of self-pubbing, they really only have their own beloved trad-pub gatekeeping to blame. Because money talks loudest, trad-pub being king got flushed with poorly edited bestsellers and crap getting past the gatekeepers. Yup, things like 50 Shades and Twilight gave everyone and their mom the confidence to say they could succeed. Yup, just as many people who thought it would be easy will fail. Low quality will CONTINUE to come out of both trad and self-pubs. Plenty of writers will 'undermine' the market by giving away their work for free and ask for donations only. Look, it's all fair game, I'm sorry to say. Other writers who underperform are NOT making me look bad. Fanfic writers are NOT making me look bad.

I kind of drifted here because it all correlates into the worries of writer's block. Nope, didn't forget. Many writers just get blocked because those dreams of grandeur wilt in the pressure of what's ahead, but guys, we really don't know. If anything, make peace with that. You're more prepared for the unknown than you think. As a writer, it's your bread and butter. You're already doing it. It's just a matter of sticking with it when your toolbox isn't up to par. You don't throw all the tools away and start over with every obstacle. Don't let your aspirations be that easy to throw away. If they are, well, do away with expectations and just enjoy it as a hobby. Professional anything will be about building discipline. No way around that. Just don't block yourself with some fatalistic look at a future that itsn't guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.