Sunday, December 8, 2019

To Edit or Read or Write

I finally got around to reading my friend Matt Roberts' new book, Lil Horror Stories for the Soul, and have a few things to point out. Story selection. He did a great job using the shortest less substantial stories first, followed by a few beefier entries before finishing with a well-researched fact/fiction novella. This particular strategy should be used by other multi-length authors; it did well to warm people up to his strengths of style.

I truly enjoyed editing the longest and final story for him, as a side note. Right now, I do editing purely for enjoyment, taking on betas I simply have a gut feeling I'll enjoy. Insofar, I've never been wrong.

So when will I write again? It's a good question but I can't say for certain. I've been getting tidbits of good ideas that I jot down for later, but there are three particular stories-- UnHeard, Piscine, and Through the Golden Doors that are warring for my idea space. Even my comic idea gets a poke here and there. I'm hoping I grab my laptop and become obsessed with one of those in particular. Not that I can't and haven't juggled stories, but each of these has vastly different needs that deserve my full attention.

Today, I went shopping, helped my nephew set up his Oculus Rift, crocheted and set up my Switch. Full day and one I'm not quite ready to put to bed. Soon, but not yet. All the same, I look forward to the work week at Sports Page, and to the coming Christmas break. I was able to buy some great gifts with my people in mind and can't quite wait to be able to give them to them. Namely because they're clogging my closet at the moment. My room is already a bitch for space...

So that's about where I am. Content and hoping there are more good things to come. Crazy world, but I'm doing all right with it so far.

Take care of yourselves too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.