Sunday, January 7, 2018

Choose Your Own Adventure: When Square One Starts on Page 42

Gathering writing advice and experiences is one of my favorite ways to take a break from the actual act of writing novels. At first, I might have lamented a bit about the order I've approached things. The general consensus tends to look like this:

  • Join forums, groups, etc.
  • Gather readers and writers to build an audience
  • Collect interested people for an email newsletter
  • When established, consider how you want to publish: traditional, self-publishing, hybrid
  • Hire... people? Cover artists, editors, or take advantage of what an agent/publisher offers to deflect those costs.
  • Publish
  • ...
  • Profit!
I pretty much did no research outside of the process of finalizing my books, so... basically, kinda sorta just the last three.

Joining groups and speaking with other writers and readers came next for me. A lot of head-scratchers popped up there. The insistence that readers are guaranteed everything from trigger warning to outright spoilers because not all adults like adult content? Monumental egos, genre confusion-- I was not quite feeling this.

Because of that, I gathered very few people and slowed down on marketing because, screw that noise, I just want to write. Don't get me wrong. I love to bounce around ideas-- help people who have run into similar issues, read quietly while I learn from discussion...  However, the only drama I'm about is what I put in books. There are also a slew of supportive and sincere writers, but then you get those passive aggressive types that choose to demoralize people, as if there's some pride in trying to shut down or cull the weakest from the herd.

Good luck miscategorizing me there. You're wasting your trolling attempts there.

I don't consider myself terribly empathetic, but the idea of bullying people out of having an opinion or a platform is cowardly. I'm not sure I ever want it on my conscience that I could have made someone give up. I'm a firm believer that everyone has a story to tell. It doesn't matter if they ever do, but it's there. No, I don't think anyone is owed a little safe space to never be challenged, but if you're in a support group, maybe just shut the fuck up with the narcissistic pessimism and peddle that shit elsewhere. Common sense.

The marketing is time-consuming. This is where I see the real appeal in attempting traditional. Just like I don't want to waste gobs of time on butting heads, I have stories to write rather than stopping to slowly gather readers. I know it seems backwards, that I could get a better understanding of my audience if I build it first then get back to my stories. However, I'm not sure I want to be branded in just yet. I DO want to flirt with other genres. So the sales aren't stellar, but I absolutely love the freedom of not being bombarded by demands. 

I know it seems counter-intuitive to success, but for my goals, I would rather pack on a nice variety for many audiences then whittling down the focus to the more successful ones than throw all my eggs in one basket on some mad dash to fame and fortune. I don't just want quantity, but quality and I am better prepared to understand the needs of my stories than anyone.

I'm at peace with Page 42. Some stories are best read out of order. Either way, I am enjoying setting the terms of my journey and I hope to roll out the carpet my way. I am incredibly grateful to all of the family, friends, fans and inspiring writers who reinforce my reasons. Yes, my stories would be written and released without any feedback at all. There is no pull stronger than my stubborn muse. It certainly sweetens the pot though, critics and all.

I'm not going anywhere, if I can possibly help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.