Tuesday, August 21, 2018

In the Land of Beta

I consider myself very lucky here, but I have yet to read for someone where I was devastated that it was a disaster or I didn't like it. I would say I'm careful about vetting but generally, I'll pick someone's request based on 'this is my genre, this-many words, and here's a one sentence description.' That is a huge gamble, but I also know how frustrating it is for writers when they hear crickets instead of interest, so sometimes I just go with my gut.

My latest beta read was a middle-grade science fiction novel by Jill Creech Bauer. Now, usually I stick to a critique, but when I feel a connection to the story I sometimes go ahead and play content editor and really get into scene order and overall style. In this case, I went all out and threw in a six-page assessment-- this isn't something I normally do since it's above and beyond. I would certainly charge for content, copy, and proofreading work, but sometimes I like to show off my chops and build a solid relationship with a writer instead of hedging on what falls under 'free work.'

This is a very important distinction. Artists and writers are indeed open to windows of generosity, but it has to come from our own desire to do so. It's almost never okay to ask someone to 'do them a favor'. Number one, it eliminates the ability to enjoy surprising someone with the extra effort when it's expected. Number two, we often work in our 'good Samaritan' bursts in the lulls of big projects. Our windows sometimes close at the end of this effort and only open again after another long, grueling session in our own aspirations.

I always consider it a success when I get back a reply that they loved my effort and have more that I can look at if I would like to read more. It's not a demand or a scheduled proposition, but it is an open invitation to continue the good rapport. This is a good way to get into my address book. It might take 3, 6, 9 months for me to get back to them, but they also understand this as creators themselves and often have a great memory for the experience and are genuinely grateful for the interest.

I'm juggling some concept building for my UnQuadrilogy while I'm poring over a screenplay for another established writer, but as I tell other writers all the time-- I do not expect reciprocation for helping with their work. I'm also not seeking to put other fine editors out of work by extending my availability. For me, this is a superb chance to help people past the blind spots in their work and look more keenly at the blind spots I have for my own. This isn't one-sided by any means, and it's even uplifting to do something kind without keeping count. I often see techniques that I haven't thought about using myself, so it absolutely does pay into my own work in that respect. 

Also, it's hidden treasure. This isn't a mainstream book/work that everyone is talking about (yet). I'm getting first dibs and real input and insight. I get to feel this secret hope that they DO find commercial success and that I get the bragging rights of working with talented people. Yes, I am a 'talented people' but they say it's lonely at the top. I'm not sure I could be content just getting to the top without using that fortune to help others. Who knows-- maybe they'll need a good assistant/editor/artist and think of me first. Maybe they'll forget me-- again, if I did this with any expectations, I'm doing it wrong, but it also doesn't hurt to dream of the possibilities. Right now, I love the social interactions, the boost of learning and growth, and the hope of what I am capable of.

This was never about fame, but fulfillment. If fortune could come without fame, I would take that too. But even in this stage where I just quietly plug away and test every pond for magical waters, there's simply no downside to doing what I'm good at. When you're in better health than you've been in a decade (mentally, physically, emotionally) and you're taking creative risks to learn your potential, it's humbling, amazing, and frightening. My grind isn't a 9-5 with insurance and a stable paycheck. As much as I miss the security, it was a dead-end misery that I failed at again and again.

And holy hells, I got my nephews interested in reading! I gave them my gaming enthusiasm but reading was a lost cause until I started writing. Being able to tell them about amazing books and the delights of tapping into their own imagination has been another great way to interact. They are very visual still so I love finding interesting science videos for us to watch together, but getting them interested in reading is no mean feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.