Wednesday, August 15, 2018

I Don't Know What I Want (But Don't Let it Stop Me)

Throwing around ideas is part of any creative process. Crochet, writing music, writing books, drawing-- doesn't matter what it is, I'm almost never certain until it's being done. I don't think having done something has ever made me confident enough to be certain of my plans, but I make bold claims then rearrange them.

Right now, I want to finish this current series and free up room to jiggle back into comics. That's not to say my novelist aspirations are coming to a halt, but I have to admit, I miss the output of a visual project. I learned a lot while doing my first series' covers and I really want to bone up on more painting studies, work on lighting and backgrounds and composition. Now, comics are mostly generic line art in comparison, but most episodic comics also have first page marquees that are more detailed than the comic itself. Those would align with my goals while continuing and active project.

Also, I've come up with some pretty great comic ideas-- things I can do as serials or shorts. It will let me flex my muscles as a multimedia storyteller. Books are a terrific expression of ideas, but I can't help but want to inject more of my visual prowess into my ideas. So visual books, comics, are the happy medium.

These days, I'm laying out the foundation for the complete four book series (heh, I already have the ending planned) so once I throw down the master plan, the writing part will throw down fairly quickly (no shortcut to decent editing though).

For now, doodles. Doodles for any and every concept when I need to toss around this series planning stage. I already have some concepts down for the sci-fi romance and some episode planning. I also have a few other maybes to roll through, see what sticks.

It would be nice to be an OctoKrista. I'd love to do eight things at once, but the reality is, I just have to try for a good mix of discipline and shifting until I find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.