Monday, February 25, 2019

Finishing Move

No blog of mine would be complete without an occasional video game reference and this one is a perfect fit for the after-publishing dance.

Authors have many different ways of taking this on: launching into more marketing and promotions, working on the next book, taking a break and clearing the mind.

But to say it's the same even for the same person would be wrong. In the beginning of my journey, it was a scramble for everything. I almost never start from scratch, having started many drafts just to avoid any square-one paralysis. I can't say for sure it actually does that since I've never worked exclusively on any one piece so there's never a blank slate to start with. 

Juggling three transitions--writing, marketing and resting, while doable, make each of them watered down to their purpose. For me, there was little productive about the transitions. I wasn't peaking without writing binges, I wasn't focused on where and how I was marketing and whenever I tried to rest, my head was torn between the rigid footwork of marketing and the floaty imagination of writing. I'm sure I told myself I was a superwoman and handling it beautifully, but now I can see that, while I was handling it, each of them deserved more dedication to their purpose.

Writing right after publishing can keep you from forgetting too much of the material so it seems like a natural fit, especially with a series, yet that presents issues too. Some stories seem best served by a little rumination period, one where I relive the written moments and create some mental 'bonus content' that humanizes (assuming they're human) the characters. To fly ahead in the story isn't always fortuitous. I've found it makes for a rushed draft that often needs a LOT of additional scenes to create the right moods and transitions. I can't say exactly which stories will need it since I'm right and wrong about my own. They do get fixed over the editing and I'm not certain it's beneficial to presume you know your story that well, especially before it's been drafted. It's work and hindsight always creates a 'should've' mentality that is about 50% helpful regardless. 

Marketing after publishing... Well, tip pages seem to stress that this should begin about six months prior to publishing. It probably should. I've focused less on that and more on the tip that says "write more books." While marketing can be immensely helpful, I've known just as many people who dump gobs of time and money into it and wish they could get both back. Some books hit the sweet spot of the zeitgeist and it markets itself. I just want to do the work so, while I post about releases, I leave it at that and focus on the next project.

Or... I take a break. It's probably the most difficult because my brain does whatever it pleases and it aches to create even when my body throws a hard negative. Yet, even if that means restlessly jumping from crochet to bead sprites to video games, it's important to consume. Friendships, familyships, spaceships, whatever--no matter how obsessed you are with your work, sometimes you need that hunger, that unpredictable inspiration, to fan the flame. Some people fear that time away will smother the flame, create apprehension to return, but those fears are more often unfounded. Even if those fears persist, you should take it as a sign that something needs fixed in another aspect of life and welcome the block as a form of self-maintenance.

But writing IS your go-to! Not right then, it isn't. If your identity is too wrapped up in any one thing, you're making it way too easy for your life to collapse. A decent foundation needs many supports so why would mental stability need any less?

So there's no right or wrong. They all have benefits but this time around, I'm no more confident I'm making the best decision. I'm taking a break. Maybe a little too long, but the past week was a trial I couldn't ignore. I'd like to continue releasing my current series on my mom's birthday, but it may mean it won't be my most focused time. And I certainly should have it set up by the beginning of February like I did this time. There's just the possibility that I'll be really murky around that time and my work should not suffer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.