Sunday, February 3, 2019

Making It Real

The nameplate came today, the one that announces one facet of myself in beautiful script and serif. Peep this...


The author distinction is important, not just for my future ComicCon booth, but to separate one of the roles that comes naturally. I could have clunked it up with illustrator, crafter, designer, any number of names that encompass my interests, but this one sums up quite a bit and simply.

I create fantasy worlds. Authors, while typically associated with published work, are still essentially interpreters of an inner world. I love calling myself a 'storyteller' yet I'm not the word-of-mouth entertainer type most popularly associated with that title. 'Wordsmith' is a charming one, but it doesn't imply a concentrated effort; teenagers are often quite versed at creating new words, even without proper use. 'Creator' always sounds too lofty and, again, probably too broad.

There may be more signs, more signs to fill the priority du jour. Yet until I put out an effort more focused on comic book art or illustrating, those sound like titles I'm just assuming to beef up a résumé I'm not really using. Fantasy Author is my first complete effort and it's important I don't let that get lost in an impressive stream of titles that do nothing to show my focus and dedication to a specific area. While it's true that I'm not just going to encumber my booth with books and book related goodies (I may also do handmade themed hats and bead magnets), I can't expect people to know how to focus their questions when I'm shoving the whole cake at them at once.

Speaking of bead magnets, my nameplate perfectly accommodates the strength of neodymium magnets through it. I'm going to glue one on the back of each side so I can swap out the character magnets on the sides. This is a big part of why I left the outside edges blank in the first place. I could have glued the little magnets on front if needed, but I much prefer back mounting them. That would also mean I could affix the sign as a magnet itself if needed. Flexibility of purpose is always a plus.

So, to restate, formatting and covers are still prioritized. Bead sprite magnets and new business card designs are a mixed possibility after or during. More reaffirmation of my status are there too. Getting my business card done will prove a mental reward akin to the nameplate.

Impostor Syndrome might be a common ailment of a writer, but there's no actual doubt that I'm worthy of each milestone, that I am prepared for the ups and downs. Sometimes I'm still in awe of those dusty mounted college degrees because 'college graduate' was a stunner too. I work hard for the things I accomplish, but even knowing that nothing is a throwaway effort, I need to hold it. Just like you don't tell someone I love you once and expect that to tide them over forever, my many hats/faces/roles are made real and lasting through these steps to nurture it.

Sure, the work itself is reward. But enough? Enough for what? While it placates the writer in me, there are just too many facets of the self that make the whole picture a package deal.

Celebrate with steps. Keep your houses in order. While dysphoria or some other mental hurdle could be crippling, it's just as likely you aren't letting those victories be savored and appreciated. If it must be budgeted practically, celebrate by buying ads. Host a giveaway. Spam social media. The best way to cement yourself as a serious anything is not just in the work, however enjoyable. While I can't say I've never celebrated by jumping right into the next project, I also can't say this is always the best thing for my work or for genuine closure of it.

Ten books, with an eleventh on the way, and even now, it seems unreal. I still have a lot to learn and it never gets less important to build on the basis of the work. To not be discouraged by prudish detractors or literary snobs. To not let people define my work based on nationality, gender, politics, faith, or some moral hierarchy. There are a ton of hurdles to leap in style, but bring it on.

'Cause I gots me a fancy new nameplate to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.