Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Taming the Room

 I haven’t yet started on cleaning out my dungeon closets. My nephew Thomas came over yesterday and it was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster that took some time to level out. I got no sleep Sunday night and ended up staying up until Monday night so I crashed hard and slept 12+ hours.

So I got up today a bit late and so far, just packed up some smaller boxes with the books under my computer desk. Why do books have to be a million different sizes and shapes? So it was like Tetris, but I got it done. My room looks like it’s been pillaged, but all that’s really left is to take out drawers, wrap them so the contents won’t tumble out when carried. The rest is stuff I use daily and will quick-pack when it’s time to finally move to the new house.

To be honest, my room still kinda looks full, but I’m visually tricking myself so I’m not lying in a barren wasteland in the meantime. Everything is staying up on my walls until the move too. It’s just a kind of mental thing, where I don’t feel like my ‘sanctuary’ doesn’t exist anymore. All easy stuff to pull down. On the ‘day of’, packing up the little stuff shouldn’t take more than an hour, if that.

It’s still about three weeks away, but the closets will take at least a week to go through since I’m picking through everything. After that, I’m going to help my nephew Dameon start getting his stuff together. A lot of what’s in his closet is already boxed up: LEGO sets, Nintendo Labo stuff, etc. mostly just gonna have to go through clothes and what’s on his shelves. He’s a video game kid so he’s never been that interested in collectibles.

My friend Joe is giving me some diaper boxes I can pack clothes in, so that has to wait too. I’m always finding new issues to solve, but nothing overwhelming. I’m being super mindful about trying to pack everything so it won’t break or be too heavy to carry.

I’ve also had some paperwork to help Dad with. Sometimes, new info comes up concerning the loan or home offer so I help him do that. My sister Erin does too. When we were still in house hunting mode, it was mostly Erin and Dad pulling up listings and Erin would plot our route through the GPS on her phone, so that was a pretty efficient process too.

I guess that’s one of the best things about working together as a family. We all play an important part and it makes big things a lot more manageable for all of us. We all have strengths (and weaknesses) and, luckily, very different interests and skills to help us through these situations. I’m the sort of secretary, Dad is the main source of income, Erin is the one who takes action. We’re a great team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.