Thursday, January 23, 2020

Omg, shoes

Yes, I did more work on the doll boots today. Today, I painted and glued the cork to the base of the feet today. There are some visible seams, which I'll probably just clean up with more glue and silver paint once this glue cures. For now:

So they're coming along well enough...

I've ordered a cutting board for my Xacto knife since I kinda sorta left a couple of gashes on my dad's kitchen table when I cut the clay for the shoulder piece. Oops. But the board is coming and I'll be laying down Saran Wrap over it to work on the breastpiece. I need to roll it pretty thin so I don't want to stretch it when I peel it up. Not too thin, just not as thick as I did for the shoulder guards. Yeah, I can sand everything down as needed, but I don't want to spend hours drying and sanding clay because I was *too* careful. I have plenty of the clay in case I need to redo anything.

Hoping to work on more doll stuff over the weekend. I'd also like to cut and sew the boot cuffs, get the boots done this weekend if possible. I don't have a plan for the hip guards yet, so that part will probably wait yet another weekend, but I might be tempted to at least try an idea or two. Once everything is all painted up in the armor department, I'd like to start bejeweling those.

The sword is what I'm least confident about. I have two blocks of wood to carve, fit and paint into what I hope resembles a fitting sword. I've never done wood carving so I might be chipping away at it for longer than the rest.

Oh! I need to do the arm bands too so that might get done when I'm doing cuffs. It will use the same fabrics I've used for the boots anyway. That covers most of it. There will also be small details like her barrette, a pouch and some buckles but I'll be planning those after the big pieces are done. Sometimes, you just have to see the big picture before the details make sense.

So this weekend: boots (with cuffs), arm guards, breastplate. A good mix of waiting for clay to dry while sewing. See how that goes and do more if there's time.

Now, this girl needs sleep. Keeping busy is tiresome work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.