Saturday, October 21, 2017

What are Your Future Goals?

I don't know about you, but the further away my goals are the less I know how to even imagine how to answer that.  I'm sure you've heard the question "where do you see yourself in five/ten years?" In retrospect, did you ever really imagine five or ten years ago that you would be where you are NOW?  In my case, a big hell no. 

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and similarly misdiagnosed bipolar.  I've struggled with neuropathic issues since I was in my mid teens and autism wasn't 'a thing' back then.  I knew back then that it wasn't bipolar because I wasn't hypersexual and my shifty moods were largely about confusion in normal situations and social inadaptability.  Gawd love my friends for taking the quirks and seeing the better parts of my challenges.  I tried to blend in, but I was always the non-conformist, the eccentric, the weirdo. I embraced those assessments because I had no plans on bottling it.  I burst through containers so I stop trying to fit into them.

For this reason, plans are something that are hard to come by, even on a much smaller scale.  I often get asked how I 'focus' to get so much done.  The answer is 'I don't' and if you're frustrated because you can't get those big projects done then maybe you can benefit from this.  Not all of us can focus entirely on one thing and you don't have to.  What you do have to do is keep consciously making all the things a priority.

1. Break it up. Despite what you may read on social media, those two things I 'spent all day on' weren't it.  It would be horribly boring to list my ritual of the same breakfast I make every morning, working out, blah blah blah.  Those timed things are the only thing that have to be considered-- basic needs to fuel what I want to be done.  The rest?  I choose between these: edit something, draw something, tweak something, write something.  And that's it.  I generally choose two of them and I may edit three currently running stories or do two sketches and a few scans.  It's not important that I'm focused on the one big goal.  It's important that I don't paralyze myself when I'm getting myopic.  So what if you have X impossible deadlines?  Don't take on work that doesn't give reasonable deadlines.  You can or you can't and there is zero point destroying your credibility by taking on too much. Break. It. Up.

2. Chapters-schmapters.   I did my nine books series in chapters because it worked.  I recently read an article that said 'chapters are important' for reasons, only to have the last paragraph debunk it and say 'go with your gut.' so basically, just that part.  Sometimes, we set the goal that 'today, I'm doing exactly this much.' pffft, no.  You're introducing chapters in your life that may be too short or dragging past the point of usefulness.  First, we don't all read the same or appreciate where the chunks stop or start.  Bookmarks are a thing both digitally and physically.  Decide where your work should take you as you go.  Sometimes it's even best to make yourself stop right when it's getting good so you're psyched to pick it up again. I don't have to tell you that the writing analogy carries over into the first bit of advice.  This just emphasizes that even short term goals need wiggle room.

3. Allow generous deadlines, but push when the getting is good. I am arranging my next self-publishing release for early 2018.  I rarely ever set a date any sooner than two weeks prior to when I'm sure.  This usually means I have illustrations almost done, formatting ready for any additions, and even if life gets in the way, I'm not frantic last minute to pull magic.  I know now that for this current series, illustrations don't take longer than three months and that is even generous.  It also gives me time to squeeze in writing, either for publications or leisure like blogs and fanfic.  I'm not illustrating my working series so it is purely a writing project.  Hell, I can even sleep and squeeze in gaming.  It's responsible to the integrity of any job to not be a slave to any one task.  Could I do my illustrations in six weeks?  Yes, but they would be sloppy and I might burn out to where I might not be able to motivate myself to jump to the next. This isn't just a creative strategy.  When I was working service jobs, I'd work my ass off to the point of misery and spend that 'extra' money trying to find enjoyment.  If you plan for what makes you function the best in everything you do, your moods will benefit and no matter what you do for a living, taking your frustrations out on people WILL hold you back.  You will find you have those days where you are pumped to hit those grudge tasks.  Do that too.  Just accept that pushing may necessitate the same effort to rest.

4. Dream big anyway.  Your goals, moods, lifestyle are working because you've found your balance.  Go ahead and make some head-in-the-clouds fantasies.  See that big fanbase, think of those witty retorts for your haters, lay out the red carpet.  A lot in life relies on the luck of catching the right eyes.  By all means, practice humility, charm people by staying practical and down to earth, but ramble on with your imagination and be enthusiastic about your ideas.  In any job I ever had where I found good fortune, I was teetering on the edge of what should be done and how I could do it better.  I not only won regular customers, but I had the stars in my eyes that inspired them to dream bigger too.


Most things in life are not just about how hard you work.  Anyone can plug in a formula and do what needs to be done.  No shame in that.  I admire my father greatly for that.  His co-workers also rely on him and know he's damn good at what he does because he applies himself and makes damn sure they know it.  That's the thing-- humility doesn't mean you can't be your own advocate.  No matter what you are capable of, always aim to do your best, always aim to improve.  If you're going to go by the lazy adage 'work smart, not hard' then utilize your talents based on how capable you feel.  

Don't let capability hinder your ability to at least try something you haven't done.  Don't confuse your current skills as the limit.  My hands tremble sometimes, which can make drawing an absolute bitch, but I work around it.  If I kept telling myself that I couldn't do it anymore, I'd pine for it and never push for it.  Don't know if you've seen my drawings lately, but they aren't the drawings of someone who 'can't draw.'. 

If you had asked me five years ago if I'd ever draw again, I would've said 'outlook not good.' I'm glad we're not beholden to our terrible foresight.  Now, when I get asked that question I laugh and say 'Great things are ahead and I'll be better than I could even imagine.'. Believe it and you may surprise yourself.  And it sounds pretty impressive besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Constructive feedback is always welcome.